BGIS – Bayelsa State GIS and Land Information System
Project Name: BGIS – Bayelsa State GIS and Land Information System
Client: Bayelsa State Government
BGIS goal is to record information about the state land use and ownership using statewide centralized remotely accessed computerized system. Data is gathered from four sources:
- Certificate of Occupancy (C of O)
- Secondary Transaction (Deed)
Bayelsa State Government broad objectives were to facilitate use of land resources and achieve the following goals:
- Improve people’s quality of life
- Greater tenure security
- Increase government taxes revenue
- Increase productivity
- Better distribution of land access and ownership
- Increasing the availability, accessibility and affordability of land services
“To guarantee title and foster confident market dealings in landed properties statewide.”
BGIS is a geospatial information system with a centralized database serving several remote sites.
The project includes:
- Land records rehabilitation
- Software development and licenses
- Data conversion
- Archive computerization
- Hardware, communication, peripherals, infrastructure
- Assimilation of work processes
- Onsite training
- Routine ongoing maintenance
BGIS project focuses on Geospatial capabilities and requires deep knowledge in Land administration and GIS technology. BGIS is used by the state’s officials and the public.
BGIS geospatial information system implementation began on June 2012. These days the system provides information to several hundred remote users located throughout Bauchi State.
Sivan Design currently develops additional phases of the system yet expanding and providing nationwide support and maintenance services.
Description of the services provided
BGIS is a multi-phase turnkey project. It started by going over and arranging paper title files, scanning, uploading, processing and binding of relevant data, and ended by allowing every citizen fo the state to retrieve basic geospatial information online from the BGIS website for free.
Sivan Design’s Land Information System (LIS) flexibility allowed fields and values customization according to specific client needs. The LIS is one of the core parts that accumulate the Geo-ERP™ solution.
Following the mapping process and imagery, plots information was digitized, geo-referenced and uploaded to the system. Title records were then linked to those plots. During this time consuming process each data insertion team process was monitored by a quality assurance (QA) person that was conducting data validity and quality checks and assuring data integrity.
The next phase was to establish completely new service center and offices. The newly setting required wiring infrastructure, hardware, peripherals, software, reliable Internet connection, furnishing and accessories. All, down to printer paper, were supplied by Sivan Design to meet client’s needs.
The most comprehensive system would be useless if its users would not have the knowhow on how to benefit from it. Sivan Design, in tight collaboration with the government personnel, carefully studied their needs and was able to design business processes to meet land regulations.
Following system assembly, the users were thoroughly trained from basic computer skills via GIS capabilities to the services and information provided specifically by BGIS system.
The project included many activities and services all of which were provided by Sivan Design:
- Infrastructure of newly established service center including electricity, telephony and network wiring
- Hardware equipment including servers, desktops, scanners, printers and peripherals
- Communication equipment and configuration setup including broadband internet and Local Area Network (LAN)
- Software licenses of servers and desktop’s operation systems, GIS, CAD, imaging etc.
- Rehabilitation of existing land information records and files
- Data acquisition and conversion of titles, cadastre maps etc.
- Digitization of archives
- GIS implementation of all relevant layers
- Deployment in remote sites
- Training and support of relevant personnel
- Maintenance routine and ongoing support
Today land officers from various remote sites use and update the system with both alphanumeric and spatial data on a daily basis. These land officers were all trained by Sivan Design and now have the knowhow to independently operate the system. Training process began with basic computer skills to expert spatial editing functions.
The system was developed and deployed by Sivan Design using the most advanced technologies and infrastructures.
Software: Microsoft .Net, Esri ArcGIS software, Microsoft SQL database, Autodesk AutoCAD, multi-tier architecture, etc.
Hardware and peripherals: HP workstations, HP servers, plotter, Internet connection
Accessories: air-conditioning, generator, office equipment and many more
Bayelsa State Geographic Information System Agency
Server Room with latest technologies
Server Room with latest technologies
New office complex
Sivan Design was and still is responsible for all project aspects and is proud of the top quality of this project. BGIS quality is based on extensive hands-on knowledge, advanced technology, and also on effective infrastructure and highly trained team that is operating the system daily.